King William Historical Museum

It was a vision of Thomas T.H. Hill, a former Clerk of the Circuit Court, to create a museum for King William County. At his death in 1998, he left a sum of money to the King William Historical Society, of which he was a member.

In 2005, the King William Historical Society set up the Museum Council composed of society members and citizens of the county. Following the building of the new Courts Building in 2004, the old Circuit Court Clerk’s office was vacated and the county agreed to lease the space to the Historical Society for a museum.

 

 

Main Room

 

The museum features displays including African American, Colonial and Native American artifacts; a time line, including artifacts that span 400 years (1607 to present); an Aylett port scene and a King William mural that includes homes on the National Registry and locations of Virginia Historical markers.
The museum is for the citizens of King William County and is designed to preserve the history of the county. The museum is always changing and welcomes artifacts, volunteers and monetary donations. Tours of the original Courthouse are also available.

The museum’s Winter hours of operation are Saturday and Sunday 1-5 p.m.

The museum will be closed during December, January and February.

Appointments can be made during the week by calling Rebecca Townsend, (804) 769-2318

Time Line

 

Contact Information

Phone: (804) 769-9619

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 233
King William, VA 23086

Physical Address:
227 Horse Landing Road
King William, VA 23086