Frequently Asked Questions


How do I apply for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)?

You may apply for SNAP by submitting an application form to the King William County Department of Social Services, either in person, through an authorized representative or by mail, fax or online

You have the right to file an application on the same day you contact the Department. Your application may be submitted any time during office hours.

You may come to the office to pick up an application any time during office hours, or we can mail you an application on the same day you request it.

If your resources and income are very low ($100 in resources and $150 in income), or you are a migrant or seasonal farm worker, or your combined gross monthly income and resources are less than your family’s shelter expenses, you may be eligible for expedited service. This means that if you are eligible, you are entitled to receive SNAP within seven days following the date your application is filed with our Department.

Your application will be reviewed on the day it is received for possible eligibility for expedited service.

You have the right to file an application even if you appear to be ineligible for the program.

You or a designated authorized representative may file an incomplete application as long as it contains a name, address and signature of a responsible household member or properly designated authorized representative. Social Services has 30 days to process your application (seven days, if expedited). The 30-day (or 7-day, if expedited) processing time begins the day after we receive the application. Additionally, your SNAP benefits for the month of application will be prorated from the date of application if you are found eligible.

If your case is approved, you must receive your benefits within 30 days following the date of application (or seven days, if expedited).

As part of the SNAP application process, you will be required to have an in-office interview before being certified, but the interview is not necessary before filing an application. Under certain hardship conditions, you may request the office interview be waived and replaced, for example, by a telephone interview.

You are encouraged to apply for SNAP the same day you contact us for assistance.

The SNAP program is administered without regard to age, race, color, sex, disability, religious creed, national origin or political beliefs.

Back to top

How do I report suspected child abuse or neglect?

Anyone may report suspected child abuse or neglect. Between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., call our office at (804) 769-4905 and ask for a child protective services worker. At all other times, call the Child Protective Services Hotline at 1-800-552-7096. If your call is an emergency, a local worker will be dispatched. Your name, if you choose to give it, will only be released if ordered by a Judge.

Valid reports will be investigated or a family assessment will be completed to determine if services are needed for the family.

Back to top

How do I get information about social security?

The Department of Social Services does not administer Social Security Programs. You can get information about those programs from the Social Security Administration website.

Back to top


What is the King William Outreach Program?

The King William Outreach Program is a group of volunteer individuals and organizations as well as state and local agencies who provide services to the citizens of King William County. The group meets every other month on the 4th Thursday in the L.T. McAllister Human Services Building at 172 Courthouse Lane in the community room. Clicking on this link will enable you to find a list of the groups/individuals who are currently taking part in this program. The Outreach Program is open to all organizations in the county who provide services to individuals and families. Please contact Anne Mitchell at or 769-4913 to find out how to get your group involved in this information sharing group.

Is my child ready to be left alone? Supervision Guidlines (.pdf format)


Where can I find answers about Child Care in the County?

You can visit this website: for more information.


Back to top