Divorce suits are handled in the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office Civil Division.

Getting Started

The Virginia State Bar publishes two pamphlets that can help you familiarize yourself with divorce in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Visit the Divorce in Virginia website and the Children and Divorce Virginia State Bar website to learn more of the information that’s important to know.

Hiring a Lawyer

A person wanting to get divorced is not required to obtain the services of a lawyer, but lawyers commonly are employed. When deciding whether to hire a lawyer, remember that staff in the Clerk’s Office cannot provide legal advice. Each person involved in a divorce suit should obtain independent legal advice. If you choose to represent yourself, you will be expected to follow the same procedures as an attorney. If you are unable to hire a lawyer, visit the Virginia State Bar’s Resource website for the Public. This has information about finding a lawyer. Help may also be found through the Virginia Lawyer Referral Service 800-552-7977 (Statewide), 804-775-0808 (Richmond), Voice/Telecommunications Device for the Deaf 804-775-0502.

Divorce Actions

A divorce suit is started by filing with the clerk’s office in person or by mail pleadings (commonly a Complaint) prepared in accordance with the Code of Virginia. View the Rules of the Virginia Supreme Court together with filing and service fees that can be determined by using Virginia’s Judicial System Circuit Court Filing Fee Calculator or by calling the Circuit Court Clerk’s office. The clerk’s office does not have court approved divorce forms.

Where to File

Divorce complaints sent by mail should be addressed to:

  • King William County Circuit Court Clerk’s Office
    351 Courthouse Lane, Suite 130
    King William, VA 23086

VS-4 State Statistical Form 

Before the court enters a final divorce decree, the party requesting the divorce must submit a completed VS-4 form that can be obtained from the clerk’s office.

Obtaining Copies of Orders and Pleadings

The clerk’s office sends copies of final decrees of divorce to the attorneys representing both parties. If a party is not represented by an attorney the final decree will be sent to him or her. You may request copies of orders or non-confidential pleadings by appearing in person or writing to:

  • King William County Circuit Court Clerk’s Office
    351 Courthouse Lane, Suite 130
    King William, VA 23086