King William County will respond to all requests for public records in compliance with the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), Sections 2.2-3700 through 2.2-3714 of the Code of Virginia and following this procedure.
- Requests involving Board of Supervisors records or records from multiple departments should be directed to the FOIA Officer or one of the departments involved.
- Requests do not have to be in writing and do not have to refer to “FOIA.”
- Any request for public records (any writing or recording in any format including handwritten notes, typewritten documents, paper records, electronic files, text messages, photographs, audio recordings, video recordings prepared or owned by, or in the possession of a public body or its officers, employees or agents in the transaction of public business) is a FOIA request and will be treated as such. All public records are presumed open unless exempt from FOIA or prohibited from disclosure by law.
- Requester must provide legal name and address. It is helpful to also provide a telephone number and email address.
- If requested records are not in the County’s possession but in the possession of the School Board, a constitutional officer, or some other government agency, requester will be notified and provided with contact information if possible.
The Code of Virginia allows any public body to withhold certain records from public disclosure. The County commonly withholds records subject to exemptions such as:
- Personnel records
- Records subject to attorney-client privilege
- Vendor proprietary information
- Records relating to the negotiation and award of a contract, prior to a contract being awarded
- Security matters
- Criminal investigative files and identifying information of witnesses and victims
- Under FOIA, the County may charge a requester a reasonable amount for time spent accessing, duplicating, supplying, or searching for the requested records, not to exceed the County’s actual cost.
- Whenever possible, records are provided at no cost to the requester.